Disclaimer: The information on this website is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained on this site should be construed as legal advice from The Law Offices of Jeffrey T. Petersen or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this content should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this website without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Mergers and Acquisition Transactions
We protect our clients and safeguard their assets especially in business sale and other M&A transactions. In any Mergers and Acquisition transaction there is a risk that problems may arise after a sale from poor planning or unforeseen legal vulnerabilities.
With the Law Offices of Jefferey T. Petersen, you get experienced, stable, focused attorneys, whether you’re selling your business for $8 million or $80 million. We provide personal attention for impactful business transactions and deliver expert guidance so our clients can understand the in’s and out’s of their deal.
Representative M&A Matters
The firm represents a wide variety of companies in M&A transactions, providing the experience and expertise to guide both buyers and sellers through the process in an efficient, cost-effective manner. Over the past three years, the firm has represented clients in transactions totaling over $1 billion in deal proceeds. A representative sample of recent M&A transactions is set forth below:
- Represented the seller of a major business insurance services company in the sale of its business to a leading public company in the industry
- Represented a large manufacturing company in a sale to a prominent private equity firm
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a nationally known pharmacy company
- Represented multiple leading managed service providers (MSP’s) in the sale of their businesses to a leading private equity firm in the IT services space
- Represented a top property management platform in numerous acquisitions of property management companies
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a well-known health and wellness company
- Represented the sellers of a food company in a stock sale to a Fortune 500 company
- Represented an electronic data services company in the sale of its business to a top private equity firm
- Represented a business coaching firm in its sale to a multibillion-dollar private company
- Represented the seller of a securities services business in a sale to a leading public company in the field
Why do you need an M&A Attorney?
Most business owners participate in one or maybe two M&A transactions in their careers. The fact is every M&A transaction is fraught with risks to the seller and buyer. Improperly constructed transactions leave unseen vulnerabilities just waiting to cause unnecessary pain either during or after it has been completed.
Common areas of oversight include:
- Tax mitigation
- Limits on the liability of the seller post-sale
- Leadership compensation structures
- Undervaluing your company
How much will an M&A Attorney cost?
- At the Law Offices of Jefferey T. Petersen, we outline a clear estimate of what we believe your fees will be at the outset. While no lawyer can guarantee costs (or outcomes), we are transparent on the range that you may need to pay to get your transaction done.
- With greater complexity comes greater costs. If, for example, you have 8 employees in a relatively unregulated field, the complexity of your Mergers and Acquisition transaction will be far simpler than that of a company with 80+ employees in a highly regulated field. Certain buyers may bring with them greater financing complexity, which may pose additional risks and expenses to you as a seller. We can review all these variables with you and offer an outline of what we believe your costs will be.
- Larger firms build in their own operating costs which, as a smaller firm, we do not have to accommodate. Because of this, we often can provide the highest level of service at a much lower cost than a big law firm.
What aspects of an M&A transaction does the attorney handle?
Mergers and acquisitions are complex, with specialized, time-sensitive work. Some transactions are compacted into a matter of months, others span years of planning and preparation to make sure that the deal is executed properly.
M&A lawyers are advisors first and foremost. They assist both the seller and the acquiring company on a host of matters, including legal, regulatory and financial, alerting them to red flags and other issues that may arise in the transaction.
Your M&A lawyer will help facilitate effective and efficient communication with accountants, bankers, real estate brokers, Private Equity or VC funds among others. They will hammer out details such as terms, timelines, goals, and more.
There is a lot of paperwork that goes into a merger and acquisition, and much of that will be done by a team of drafters. This will include term sheets, contracts, opinions, letters, registrations, government applications, and other important documents. We will take the preliminary term sheet for a deal to the end stage of final deal documents, with our client’s goals our top priority throughout the process.
“The Law Offices of Jeffrey T. Petersen has been a valuable partner in helping our company prosper over the past decade. From business agreements to internal corporate guidance to risk mitigation, the attorneys there have provided practical advice and gotten tasks done efficiently. They are a go-to resource for legal matters, and understand how to assist companies in dynamic markets.”
“Jeff Petersen and his team have been working with our sports hospitality company for several years as corporate counsel, and they’ve been great to work with since day one. Our customer and other contracts are handled quickly and efficiently, and we value Jeff’s insight on larger strategic matters, such as acquisitions and strategic partnerships. I recommend the firm highly to anyone needing experienced business attorneys.”
“The Law Offices of Jeffrey T. Petersen has been with our business from the beginning, helping us navigate all our legal requirements and providing a valuable resource for compliance and IP matters. Their responsive, team-oriented approach has been the right fit for our company.”
We are in the business of protecting our clients and safeguarding their assets especially in business sale and M&A transactions. These are stories illustrating the ways in which we accomplish this. No stories are a guarantee of results. Please refer to the disclaimer in our footer.